10 Things You Might Not Know About Barbados
On Totally Barbados we have tried to give you an insight into our island home, with the most comprehensive guide of what to expect from your holiday.
For those of you who have visited Barbados, we thought you might enjoy this list of 10 things you might not know about Barbados.
1. As a visitor to Barbados you will need a valid passport to enter and leave the island via Bridgetown Sea Port or Grantley Adams International Airport.
2. Barbados welcomes approximately 900,000 stay over and cruise ship visitors annually.
3. There are just under 20 Green certified Hotels in Barbados, one of the highest number per square mile.
4. The third oldest Parliament in the Commonwealth is located in Barbados.
5. Mount Hillaby, the highest point in Barbados, is 1,100 feet above sea level.
6. The first aircraft in Barbados was brought over by ship to Bridgetown, assembled and then flown from the Garrison Savannah in 1913.
7. St. James Parish Church is the oldest Church in Barbados and is located in the parish which bears its name.
8. The Pride of Barbados is the national flower. The leaves are boiled and used as a tea to soothe restless young children.
9. Barbados is among the Caribbean islands with daily flights to the United States, Canada, and England.
10. Barbadians love pork and have many recipes for succulent pig dishes. It is therefore no surprise that most of the pork consumed on the island is produced locally.
Author: Brett Callaghan
|Feedback and Reviews|
|Back to: Facts about Barbados
Visitor Rating: 9.00 from 2 users
Information Assumed Accurate On: Apr 22, 2013
Rate This Article
|Visitor Comments: |
Helps with homework
Date: May 12, 2014
I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Apr 30, 2013
helps with homework
Date: Jan 6, 2013
This site really helped me with my HomeWork about Barbados but does anybody know the Courancy of Barbados at would really help me
Date: Dec 11, 2012
thanks this website realy helped with my home work thanks for the help
Date: Jun 16, 2011
this site is a great reminder of bajan culture
Date: Jul 24, 2008
Have not been to your fair island yet but this website provided all details and info one needs. Will see you in Sep of 08! Cheers!
Date: Jul 4, 2008
Love this site...keep with it
Date: Apr 26, 2008
this rock my sox!
Date: Nov 21, 2007
this site is great
Date: Oct 18, 2007
that is very interesting and helpful
Date: Aug 16, 2007
This website totally helped me with my school report.I need to give an oral on Barbados to my class and nobody has as many facts as you do.
Date: May 6, 2007
Thanx for the historical lesson. Being a Barbadian doesn't necessarily mean we know a lot of our history. This is really appreciated. I wish the television station would do a greater part in presenting our historical facts to the general public. Possibly in the form of a GIS annoucement daily in place of some of the music videos that are shown repeatedly. "If u don't know u're history u don't know u're roots".....
Date: Feb 28, 2007
this helped me learn more about my culture
Date: Feb 25, 2007
Submit a Review or Comment