Edwy Talma Roundabout
Roundabout located along the ABC highway in Christ Church with an exit to Kendall Hill.
Born on December 22, 1909 in the spice-isle of Grenada, Sir Edwy Cuthbert Talma is remembered for his numerous contributions to Barbadian society. His early education was conducted in Barbados at the Boys Foundation School (between the years of 1920 and 1925) and at Harrison College (between 1925 – 1928).
Sir Edwy’s early work history includes that of:The Accounts Department of UBOT Shell Oil Co. in Trinidad and Venezuela from 1929 – 1932. Article Clerk to the late James Gooding. While Sir Edwy’s beginning may be of interest, he is primarily remembered for his service as The first General Secretary of the Barbados Labour Party (at the time called the Barbados Progressive League) from 1938 – 1941.
Solicitor and licensed Law Conveyance who practiced during 1944 to 1946. A Junior Member of the House of Assembly for Christ Church from 1944 until 1948. In 1948 Sir Edwy was defeated at the polls but returned victorious in 1951 regaining the Christ Church seat which he continued to hold until 1971.In 1954 Sir Edwy was one of the Ministers in the first ministerial system of Government, at which time five Ministers in the ruling Barbados Labour Party were given portfolios.He was appointed the Minister of Agriculture, Lands and Fisheries from 1954 – 1956 and from 1961 to 1963. In 1957 Sir Edwy left the Barbados Labour party and joined the Democratic Labour Party.
Sir Edwy also held the position of Minister of Communications and Works from 1964 to 1965. Christ Church East had the privilege of being represented by Sir Edwy from 1971 until 1976 at which time he bowed out of office. Sir Edwy Talma was knighted in 1981 for his numerous contributions to society.
As a matter of interest, this gentleman was of Anglican faith and his hobbies included football, cricket, swimming and the Drive-In Cinema. Sir Edwy was laid to rest on the 5th of August, 1994 at the age of 85.