Barbados’ psychiatric hospital is located in Black Rock in the parish of St. Michael in the south-west of the island.
Black Rock Psychiatric Hospital provides 24 hour care, 7 days a week, with both in-patient and out-patient services available.
The site of the hospital was originally an old plantation house (‘Jenkinsville’) but was purchased by the Ministry of Health in 1891, and subsequently opened in 1893.
The Mental Health Commission of Barbados (http://mentalhealthcommission.gov.bb/Psychatric.html) oversees the direction of the Psychiatric Hospital, with the Hospital itself working under the motto of ‘working to heal the mind’. The aim is to provide accessible high quality mental health services, with special emphasis on community-based education to create awareness of mental health issues, as well as prevention and treatment of mental illness.
Did You Know? This healthcare facility provides mental health services not only to local Barbadians, but also welcomes visitors to the island.
What Services Are Available?
Mental health services in Barbados are accessible island-wide from the Psychiatric Hospital itself, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the Polyclinics, private psychiatrists and health centres.
Black Rock Psychiatric Hospital provides both in-patient and out-patient services for mental and social illnesses, for both adults and children.
Such services are delivered by a multi-disciplinary team who address patients’ health issues on various levels. Some services are also delivered from homes, business places and organizations within the community, depending on the individual needs of the patient and the community.
The Hospital offers physical and psychiatric medical services, day programs, specialized professional services (social work, psychology, psychotherapy, occupational therapy), rehabilitative services, as well as community outreach services to raise awareness about mental health issues.
Want More Service Details?
– includes in-patient, out-patient, and community nursing services.
– includes physical and psychiatric medical services.
– includes occupational therapy, social rehabilitation, and drug rehabilitation.
Social Work Services
– includes crisis intervention and supportive therapy such as discharge planning to assist patients’ transition into the community.
– includes assessment and psychometric testing, counselling and individual therapy, group and/or family therapy, and a women’s support group.
Child Guidance Services
– includes psychiatric and psychological assessment, diagnosis, and treatment such as social skills training and career counselling to help children suffering from mental and emotional health issues.
– includes day programmes, a halfway house, community services, and continuous assessment, with a focus on helping patients to successfully integrate back into the community.
Note: This is partnered with the District Nursing services in order to monitor patients’ transitional progress and behavior.
Community Outreach Services
– includes public education and awareness of mental health issues, and involvement in community activities in collaboration with other agencies.
– includes pharmacy, dietary, Electro Encephalogram (EEG), and medical records.
For more information, phone the Black Rock Psychiatric Hospital main switchboard (246) 425-8680 or (246) 425-8688.
By: Brett Callaghan
Last Updated: July 17th, 2017
Publisher: Totally Barbados