The Barbados National Trust
The Barbados National Trust was founded in 1961 as a non profit charitable organisation to protect the natural heritage of Barbados through the preservation of buildings, places of natural beauty and those places of environmental importance.
Preserving the natural heritage of Barbados!
The places that fall under the remit of The Barbados National Trust are as follows:
Andromeda Botanic Gardens is located in the parish of St. Joseph on the east coast of Barbados. This tropical garden, which was founded in 1954, is set in 6 acres of land, and features orchids and shrubs of over 600 varieties.
Arbib Nature Trail starts in Speightstown, goes through Whim Gully, the Warleigh Plantation and the ruins of Dover Fort.
Arlington House opened in February 2008, the museum is situated in the heart of historic Speightstown, formerly known as “Little Bristol”, because of the direct trade between Bristol and Speightstown merchants.
The Bridgetown Synagogue is located in Bridgetown and is one of the oldest synagogues in the world, having been built in 1654 for the Jewish settlers who came from Brazil.
Gun Hill Signal Station is located in the parish of St. George. It was completed in 1818 and is the grandest of all the signal stations.
Morgan Lewis Sugar Mill is located in St. Joseph. It was the last working mill on the island, as well as being the largest and oldest.
The Sir Frank Hutson Sugar Museum is located in the parish of St.James. It houses antique machinery, and gives a guided tour of sugar, it’s uses in the past and it’s uses in today’s markets.
Tyrol Cot Heritage Village is located in the parish of St. Michael. Tyrol Cot was built in 1854 and was home to Sir Grantley Adams, the first premier of Barbados who is featured on the Barbadian $100 note.
Welchman Hall Gully is located in the parish of St. Thomas. The Gully was created by the collapse of limestone caverns to create a beautiful garden of tropical plants and trees.
Wildey House is located in the parish of St. Michael. It is a Georgian mansion, which was left to The Barbados National Trust and is now their headquarters as well as being open to the public.