Religion remains at the center of culture in Barbados.
Anglican is the national religion of Barbados. However, various denominations of Christianity and non-Christian religions are practiced in Barbados.
Although you wouldn’t necessarily think it, even our Crop Over Festival has its roots in religious celebration. Crop Over was, in fact, initially a way of thanking God, the Gods, Jah, or Ala, for the success of another year’s sugar crop.
Anglican is officially the national religion of Barbados. However, various denominations of Christianity and non-Christian religions are practiced throughout the island. It stems from the first permanent English settlers, who arrived on the island in 1627 and were sternly Anglican when they landed and started building a church to worship.
According to the 2010 Population and Housing Census for Barbados, religion in Barbados is made up as follows:
From those identifying with a particular religion or faith in Barbados, the majority is Anglican.
- You can view the Barbados 2010 population and housing census PDF document.
Where can I practice my faith in Barbados?
We’ve provided you with a list of denominations, the parishes where you will find these places of worship, and their contact details.
Note: It’s always best to phone the church or place of worship to confirm the times of services, as schedules can change slightly throughout the year.
The Roman Catholic Church has been present in Barbados since 1839. In the early and mid-twentieth century, the Catholic Church was bolstered by immigration from Guyana, Dominica, St. Lucia, and Syrian and Lebanese Christians from Trinidad. It is expanding through natural growth and a small number of converts.
- Saint Dominic’s Roman Catholic Church, Maxwell Main Rd, Christ Church (246) 428-7677 or (246) 271-6124
- St. Francis of Assisi, Mount Steadfast, St. James (246) 422-2431 – Live Streaming – Web Cam
- Our Lady Queen of the Universe (OLQU), Black Rock, St. Michael (246) 427-2241
- St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cathedral, Bay Street, St. Michael (246) 426-2325
- Our Lady of Sorrows, Roman Catholic Church, Ashton Hall, St. Peter (246) 422-2179
- Our Lady of the Rosary, Verdun, St. John (246) 426-2325
- Sacred Heart, St. Philip – +1 246-423-1883
The Anglican Diocese of Barbados – Anglican is the most popular denomination in Barbados. As a direct result of the first settlers, each parish in Barbados has an Anglican parish church, some of which are said to be haunted. All the churches are beautiful, and many provide the best scenic views of the island.
The enslaved people also brought their religions with them even though they were forced to practice Christianity by their masters. Many other religions have moved and grown on our small island. The places of worship of these religions vary from meeting halls, large limestone churches to chattel houses and natural settings like beaches.
Anglican Diocese of Barbados
+1 (246) 426-2762
Henry’s Lane, Collymore Rk, St. Michael
- Christ Church Parish Church (The Ivan Harewood Centre), Church Hill, Christ Church 246-428-8087.
- St. Bartholomew, Charnocks, Christ Church – 246-420-7129
- St. Christopher, St. Christopher, Christ Church – 246-420-4269
- Christ The King (Anglican) Church – +1 246 622 3082
- St. David Church & Chapel of St. Basil, Christ Church – 246-437-1801
- St. Lawrence Church, St. Lawrence Gap, Christ Church (246) 420-7679
- St. Patrick, Christ Church, 246-420-1273
- St. Mathias Church, Hastings, Christ Church (246) 429-5733
- The Church of Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd
- St. Alban’s Anglican Church
- St. James Parish Church, Holetown, St. James (246) 422-4117
- St. John The Baptist
- St. Silas
- St John Parish Church
- Holy Cross
- St. Gabriel
- St. Julian
- St. Margaret
- St. Mark
- St. Cyprian’s Church, Corner 7th Avenue and George St, St. Michael (246) 426-2762
- St. Leonard’s Anglican Church, Westbury Road, St. Michael (246) 426-7358
- St. Mary’s Church, Bridgetown, St. Michael (246) 426-3746
- St. Michael’s Cathedral, Bridgetown, St. Michael (246) 427-0790
- St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Bay Street, St. Michael (246) 426-2761
- St. Stephen’s Church, Black Rock, St. Michael (246) 424-8435
- Covenant Reformed Baptist Church of Barbados is a church plant of Covenant Baptist Church, Toronto.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST
The first Seventh-Day Adventist missionary arrived in 1891, and the denomination has multiplied since its incorporation in 1933.
- King Street Seventh Day Adventist Church, King’s Street, St. Michael (246) 429-8639
- Pentecostal Church of the Living God, Parish Land, Christ Church (246) 420-4838
- Hawthorne Methodist Church, Hawthorne, Christ Church (246) 436-6859
- Providence Methodist Church, Providence, Christ Church, BB17095, Barbados – +1-246-418-0891
- James Street Methodist Church, James St, Bridgetown, St. Michael (246) 427-7452
- Rendezvous Congregation, Rendezvous, Christ Church (246) 438-0655
- Weston Congregation, Weston, St. James (246) 438-0655
Baptists, Moravians, and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) are also on the island.
- Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, Rendezvous, Christ Church (246) 426-9731
- Mount Carmel Pentecostal, St. Patrick’s, Christ Church (246) 420-7721
- Bethlehem Moravian Church, Maxwell, Christ Church (246) 428-8284
- Calvary Moravian Church, Roebuck Street, Bridgetown (246) 426-2337
- Islamic Teaching Centre, Harts Gap, Hastings, Christ Church (246) 427-0120
- Juma Mosque, Kensington New Road, Bridgetown, St. Michael (246) 425-7854
- Church of the Glorious Christ, River Road, Bridgetown (246) 429-7792
Wesleyan Holiness Church
- Bentham Wesleyan Holiness Church, St. Lucy
- Beth-Eden Wesleyan Church
- Black Rock Wesleyan Holiness Church – 246-424-1328
- Brittons Hill Wesleyan Holiness Church, Britton’s Hill, St. Michael
- Cane Garden Wesleyan Holiness Church, Cane Garden, St. Andrew
- Carrington Wesleyan Holiness Church, Welches, St. Michael – 246-429-2600
- Cave Hill Wesleyan Holiness Church, Cave Hill, St. Michael
- Chalky Mount Wesleyan Holiness Church, Chalky Mount, St. Andrew
- Coconut Grove Wesleyan Holiness Church, Coconut Grove, St. Joseph – 246-271-2541
- Coconut Hall Wesleyan Holiness Church
- Cornerstone Wesleyan Holiness Church, Sargeants Village, Christ Church
- Crab Hill Wesleyan Holiness Church, Crab Hill, St. Lucy – 246-439-9268
- Dunamis Outreach Ministries, Staple Grove, Christ Church – (246) 537-0092
- Ellerton Wesleyan Holiness Church, Eustace Lashley Road, Ellerton, St. George – 246-436-3661/435-9159
- Fairy Valley Wesleyan Holiness Church, Fairy Valley, Christ Church – 246-423-0295
- Faith Wesleyan Holiness Church, Jackman’s Main Road, St. Michael – 246-429-6987
- Fustic Wesleyan Holiness Church, Half Moon Fort, St. Lucy
- Haggatt Hall Wesleyan Holiness Church, Haggatt Hall, St. Michael – 246-271-0588
- Hopewell Wesleyan Holiness Church, Hopewell, St. Thomas – 246-827-3307
- Hoytes Wesleyan Holiness Church, Hoytes Village, St. James – 246-424-3734
- Kairos Wesleyan Holiness Church, Pie Corner, St. Lucy
- Lakes Wesleyan Holiness Church, Lakes Village, St. Andrew – 246-435-1600
- Lodge Road Wesleyan Holiness Church, Lodge Road, Christ Church – 246-537-0193
- Martins Bay Wesleyan Holiness Church, Martins Bay, St. John
- Maxwell Wesleyan Holiness Church, Maxwell Hill, Christ Church – 246-426-8997
- Messiah’s House, Massiah Street, St. John, 246-423-0514
- Mount Of Praise Wesleyan Holiness Church, Tudor Bridge, St. Michael, 246-424-6929
- New Creation Wesleyan Holiness Church, Speightstown, St.Peter, 246-425-7340
- Prospect Wesleyan Holiness Church, Prospect, St. James, 246-624-2951
- Proute Wesleyan Holiness Church, Arise Village, St. Thomas, (246)-228-0733
- Ragged Point Wesleyan Holiness Church, Ragged Point, St. Philip, 246-423-1767
- Rhema Wesleyan Holiness Church, Six Roads, St. Philip – 246-419-9942
- Shekinah Wesleyan Holiness Church, Church Village, St. Philip – 246-433-0207
- Thickets Wesleyan Holiness Church, Thickets, St. Philip – 246-271-6011
- Unity Wesleyan Holiness Church, Edgecliff, St. John,
- Victory Wesleyan Holiness Church, Welch Village, St. John
- Whim Wesleyan Holiness Church, Whim, St. Peter – 246-439-9268
- Whitepark Wesleyan Holiness Church, Whitepark Road, St. Michael 246-426-6756/426-8476
- Wobourne Wesleyan Holiness Church, Flat Rock, St. George, 246-425-4456/427-8796
Other minority religions practiced on the island include the Rastafari Movement, Hinduism, Buddhism, and the Baha’i Faith.
Bajan families remain religious, and most families still gather once a week for prayer – generally over a shared meal.
Religious holidays and milestones are strictly observed and celebrated in Barbados. As a result, regardless of faith, most businesses are closed on Sunday as it is considered a day of prayer, rest, and family relaxation.
Businesses generally operate from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday, and Bridgetown remains a hive of activity on Saturdays.
See photos of Barbados churches and other places of religious interest within our Adobe Portfolio.
- Christ Church Accommodation
- Geography and Statistics
- Holetown Festival
- Parish of St. John
Listen to this Article
Duration: 16 minutes and 42 seconds
Last Updated: March 21st, 2023
Publisher: Totally Barbados