Bajan Style Lentil Stew is a delicious meatless alternative. It can be used alone, on top of rice, baked potatoes, pasta, toast, or crackers.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup small uncooked lentils or 2 cans cooked lentils
- 4 Stalks celery
- English potato (optional)
- Sweet Potato (optional)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 boxes large stock
- ¾ cup fine parmesan grated cheese
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp bottled green seasoning
- Salt to taste
- A bunch of fresh thyme
- Drain lentils and set them aside.
- Dice carrots, celery, onions, and garlic.
- Chop potatoes into small cubes.
- Stir fry all vegetables together except canned tomatoes.
- Add turmeric, fresh thyme, and bottled seasoning.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and cook down until juice evaporates.
- Add lentils and stir.
- Add stock and potatoes.
- Boil covered until the potatoes are soft.
- Add more seasoning to taste.
If you use the uncooked lentils, boil separately in water and salt until soft (strain out most of the water after), then add to the vegetable mixture the same time you add the canned tomatoes.
— Jug Jug Recipe
— Bajan Sorrel Drink
— Macaroni Pie Recipe
— Beef Stew Recipe
— Fish Cakes and Sauce Marie Rose Recipe
By: Brett Callaghan
Last Updated: March 3rd, 2023
Publisher: Totally Barbados