Chicken and Potato Roti is a Bajan favorite and can be picked up at various locations across the island as a snack, or you can cook it at home as a main meal. This is a great dish to serve when entertaining as people can help themselves, it is very filling, and those with an enormous appetite can return for more!
You will need the following ingredients:
For the roti skin, you will need the following:
- One pound (lb) of flour
- Three tbs of shortening
For the filling, you will need the following:
- Six chicken breast cubed
- Jerk seasoning
- Black pepper
- Two large onions
- Four cloves of garlic
- One whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2lb potatoes
- Add a pint of chicken stock to the simmer and put three tablespoons of sugar into a large saucepan on high; cook until the sugar caramelizes, then add the cubed chicken breasts and stir until the chicken browns.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, jerk seasoning, salt, and the whole scotch bonnet pepper – do not cut up the pepper! Reduce the heat to low and let this simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Now add the first tablespoon of shortening, and with your fingers, rub the flour into the shortening until it forms a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Then add the second tablespoon of shortening and rub against the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Now add the third tablespoon of shortening and repeat the process.
- You should by now have used all the flour. Your bowl should be all breadcrumb-like; if you still have fresh flour, use another tablespoon of shortening until your fresh flour is all used up.
- Add a small amount of water and mix with a butter knife; keep adding small amounts until your mixture forms a soft dough.
- Now dust your surface with flour and roll out your pastry; you want to roll wafer-thin rounds – this mixture should make at least 12 roti skins.
- Cover with a tea towel while returning to the pot.
- Now peel the potatoes and cube them into small bite-size pieces.
- After 25 minutes of simmering, add 1/2 pint of water and the potatoes to the pool.
- Now cover and cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Turn a flat baking tray upside down, lightly cover with foil, and place on the stovetop on high; cook each roti skin for 1 minute on each side until brown but not crisp.
- Now pile up your cooked roti skins, remove the pot after 30 minutes, and remove the whole scotch bonnet.
- Take the entire pot to the table with a pile of plates; each person assumes the roti skin, lays it flat on the scale, spoons some filling into the middle of the roti skin, and folds around the filling eats enjoy.
Barbados Restaurant Guide
Search our Barbados Restaurant Guide for a restaurant that suits your price, cuisine type, parish, or location. Now all that’s left to do is get down to Barbados and start enjoying the great dining opinions in Barbados.
See photos of Bars and Restaurants in Barbados within our Totally Barbados Adobe Portfolio.
- Bajan Style Lentil Stew
- Bajan Salt Bread Recipe
- Stewed Down Chops Recipe
- Top 10 Barbados Rum Shops
- Barbados Recipes
Listen to this Article
Duration: 3 minutes and 58 seconds
Last Updated: May 23rd, 2023
Publisher: Totally Barbados