You will need the following ingredients:
- 1lb boneless salted cod
- 2oz/60g butter
- Two medium onions, thinly sliced
- Two tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- One sweet pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cups 16oz/500ml tinned tomatoes or 2lbs/1kg peeled fresh tomatoes, sliced
- One tablespoon curry powder
- One sprig fresh thyme
- One sprig fresh marjoram
- Two sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cups 20floz/600ml water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- One teaspoon pepper sauce
- Four hard-boiled eggs (optional)
Boil salt fish in plenty of water for 20 minutes. If still too salty, repeat. Drain salt fish, break into wedges, check for bones, and set aside.
Heat butter and sauté the onion. When beginning to brown, add garlic, salt fish, and sweet pepper and sauté for a further 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, curry powder, herbs, water, pepper sauce, and black pepper and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to an hour or until tender. Salt to taste.
If adding eggs, shell and slice them and add to the salt fish about 10 minutes before its finished cooking.
Author: Brett Callaghan