Sorrel is a popular drink made from the seasonal sorrel plant. Originating in West Africa, this Caribbean beverage is a favorite around Christmas time. It can be made from the fresh or dried sorrel plant. This delicious drink can be enjoyed on its own or mixed with rum, vodka, etc.
You will need the following ingredients to makes three (3 ‘pint and a half bottles’ of Sorrel.
- 1 4oz package dried sorrel
- 1 thumb finger ginger (split)
- 1 index finger cinnamon
- 1 index finger orange peel
- 1 cap full of rum
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 gallon boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Combine all ingredients except water and rum in a large glass jar.
- Pour hot water over it and cover lightly.
- Leave overnight.
- Strain out all ingredients.
- Pour into three bottles. Add one cap full of rum per bottle.
- Refrigerate bottles. Serve cold or over ice.
— Jug Jug Recipe
— Bajan Style Lentil Stew Recipe
— Fish Cakes and Sauce Marie Rose Recipe
— Stewed Down Salt Fish and Cou Cou Recipe
— Chicken and Potato Roti Recipe