This traditional Bajan sweet bread is delightful served with hot tea; it can be buttered if preferred.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups grated coconut
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the flour, baking powder, and salt. Melt the butter in a saucepan. In another bowl, mix the coconut, the majority of the sugar – leave some back for covering the loaves later, raisins, egg, milk, almond essence, vanilla essence, and melted butter. Mix well until you have a creamy paste. Add this to the bowl with the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until you form a stiff dough.
- Now divide the mixture between the baking tins.
- Now boil the water.
- Mix two tablespoons of sugar with some hot water and brush the top of each loaf.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour.
- Leave to cool in tins before serving; when cooled, slice, and serve with a fresh pot of tea.
— Macaroni Pie Recipe
— Beef Stew Recipe
— Fish Cakes and Sauce Marie Rose Recipe
— Stewed Down Salt Fish and Cou Cou Recipe
— Chicken and Potato Roti Recipe