Peas and rice is a dish that is eaten throughout the Caribbean. Pigeon peas are related to the tender green sweet peas but are much higher in protein and vitamins, making this a very nutritious dish.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups (11oz/345g) fresh or frozen pigeon peas
- 6 cups (48floz/1.45l) water
- Bouquet garnish of fresh thyme, marjoram, and chives
- 1 (4lb/125g) salt beef or salt pork
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups (8floz/250ml) rice
- 1 large tomato, blanched, peeled, and chopped up
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Red pepper sauce to taste
Using Fresh Pigeon Peas
- Cover and boil the peas, herbs, and salt beef in four cups of water for about 1/2 hour. If you are not using salt meat, add salt to taste.
- Wash the rice and drain.
- Add the rice, 2 more cups of water, butter, tomato, and lime juice.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer until all the water is steamed (20-25 minutes).
Using Dried Pigeon Peas
- If using dried pigeon peas, use 1 cup of peas and increase the water to 7 cups and cook the dried peas very rapidly for about 10-15 minutes and then reduce to simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Proceed with the recipe as above.