Conkies are a favorite with every Barbadian family and are made traditionally in November to celebrate Independence.
They are quite heavy so that you won’t need more than one per person.
Please find details below on how to make this Bajan treat.
You will need:
- Sharp knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Fresh green Banana leaves
- 2 cups of cornflour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 6oz of margarine or lard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 4oz raisins
- 1 tsp of spice
- 1 tsp of almond essence
- ¼ Pumpkin
- Sweet potato
- Take your fresh green banana leaves and strip the leaves from the stalk with a sharp knife, then you need to singe the leaves over a naked flame just long enough to make them pliable.
- Now tear your leaves into squares big enough to wrap your conkie mixture into.
- Next, you will need to grate your pumpkin, coconut, and sweet potato into a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add your raisins, sugar, salt, spice, almond essence, nutmeg, cornflour, and plain flour and mix it all.
- Beat your egg and add that to the mixing bowl.
- Now you can add your milk and margarine or lard; the mixture should now be stiff to mix.
- Now, place a few dollops of mixture on each banana leaf and fold the leaf around the mixture.
- Now, place your conkies on the steamer and cook until firm.
By: Brett Callaghan
Last Updated: January 3rd, 2021
Publisher: Totally Barbados