This is the hearty fare for lunch or dinner that is popular with all ages. Delicious served with mashed potatoes or rice and steamed vegetables.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 4 servings pork chops (preferably with the skin on) or lamb chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup/2 sweet peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Pepper sauce to taste
- A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes of Angostura bitters
- 2 cups 14floz/425ml can peel tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups 16floz/500ml water
Rub salt on to the pork chops and leave for 10 minutes. Wash and pat dry.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the chops on both sides over medium to high heat (about 10 minutes). Remove the chops from the pan and set aside.
Sauté the onions until beginning to brown, add the garlic and sweet peppers and sauté for a further couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, nutmeg, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, Angostura bitters, water, and replace the pork chops.
Cover and simmer over low heat until the chops are tender (1-2 hours). Add more water during cooking if necessary.